top of page

Emergency Resources


Honeybee is not a crisis intervention practice. We simply do not have the resources or capacity to address emergent crisis situations. As a result, here are some community resources you can use if you are in crisis:


Mobile Crisis (New Hanover, Pender, and Brunswick Counties)- 1-866-437-1821

Mobile Crisis services provide trained clinicians to support you in times of crisis. At times, they will come directly to you to assess you and provide options and resources for next steps.


911/The Emergency Room

If you feel you are an imminent (meaning right now or very soon) danger to yourself or to others, you can call 911, and a police officer or medic can come and assess you and take you to the hospital for further assessment if needed. If you have a safe means of getting to your local emergency room, you can also go there directly and request a psychiatric evaluation.


At the emergency room, you have the right to request a review by a trained mental health professional (usually either a psychiatrist or a psychologist). They cannot refuse to let you see someone who specializes in mental health.


If you are in a mental health crisis, we at Honeybee believe you need to see someone who specializes in mental health to ensure you get the support you need. Sometimes emergency room physicians will try to clear you themselves after a brief assessment. If you feel you need additional assessment or are uncertain about your safety, you can request a qualified mental health professional to assess you, as well.


If you go to the emergency room and have a history of substance use, please disclose any recent substance use as there can be serious drug interactions and potentially life threatening withdrawal symptoms if you do not disclose honestly what you have been doing. Giving the medical professionals the most complete information allows them to adequately assess and treat you. Trust us- they have seen it all, heard it all, and treated it all- but they can’t know what to do if you don’t tell them the truth.


Similarly, if you go to the emergency room and have a history of eating disorder, please disclose any recent symptoms and request labs and an EKG be completed before you are discharged. Common labs include the CBC, CMP, LFTs, serum magnesium, serum phosphorous, amylase, thyroid panel, and pre-albumin. Also, you can request that you are assessed for orthostasis. Please report any symptoms of chest pain, muscle cramping, syncopy (fainting), or light-headedness. If your lab values are outside of the normal range, regardless of what the ER MD tells you, you need to follow up with an MD who specializes in eating disorders. Often times eating disorders are missed and lab values are minimized even when they can be significant indicators of decline. This medical information was blatantly plagiarized from this resource:



If you know you are in need of additional treatment but do not feel as though you are in an active crisis, please use time during sessions to discuss what additional supports and resources are needed. Common supports include being referred to go to an inpatient level of care (24 hour care and medical supervision), residential level of care (24 hour care but without 24 hour medical interventions due to being more medically stable), partial hospitalization (usually 5-7 days a week for 6-12 hours per day of additional group support, once weekly meetings with MDs (usually), and structure for the day), intensive outpatient programs (usually 3-5 days per week for up to 5 hours per day with group interventions; you will usually see your outpatient treatment team simultaneously).



bottom of page